Academy MemberMap & Directions
Peter J. MacKeigan, Q.C.
Cell: and Text (321) 289-7480
Recognized to Nova Scotia Chapter for:
Civil/Commercial Mediation & Arbitration; Labour Arbitration
Regularly travels out of province to: New Brunswick
Other ADR Services: ADR Systems Design, ADR Training Services, Facilitation, Fact Finding, Insurance Umpire, Med-Arb, Mini-Trial, Neutral Evaluation
- Practice Commenced: 1995
My legal career started in 1973 and covered virtually all aspects of what is commonly referred to as a commercial practice. In 1995 my practice shifted to acting as a neutral independent full time commercial and labour arbitrator and mediator with many thousands of hours in these roles. Most of my retainers come from consensual appointments throughout New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador. As well I have also served on the rosters as both mediator and arbitration for many provincial and federal boards and tribunals.
- Bachelor of Commerce from Dalhousie University
- Law degree from Dalhousie University Schulich School of Law
- Certificate in Environmental Management from DalTech
- Certificate in Negotiation and Conflict Management from Dalhousie University Schulich School of Law and Henson College
- Advanced mediation courses endorsed by the ADR Institute of Canada
- Advanced mediation course International Academy of Mediators in Toronto, Los Angeles (Pepperdine University), Atlanta, New York, Boston (Harvard), Salt Lake City, Austin, the SDRCC in Montreal, Quebec City and Winnipeg and the American Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section, in Atlanta, New York and Miami.
- ADRIO course "Practical Ethics for Working Mediators and the SDRCC course on sexual harassment
- I have been a guest lecturer for numerous educational institutions, Bar Admission Courses, the Atlantic Trial Lawyers Association, the Canadian Defence Lawyers, Insight and various Continuing Legal Education Seminars for various professional bodies including the Canadian Bar Association, Nova Scotia Barristers Society and ADR Institute of Canada Inc. I was a member of the Part Time Faculty at the Dalhousie University Schulich School of Law lecturing in Dispute Resolution.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Awarded Queens Council
- AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized by Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory as a leading practitioner in Nova Scotia in Property Leasing and Property Development (Formerly)
- President of the Canadian Bar Association (Nova Scotia Division) (Formerly)
- Awarded the Chartered Arbitrator and Chartered Mediator designations by the ADR Institute of Canada
- Designated a Distinguished Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators (Formely)
I am limiting my practice to commercial and labour mediations only plus dispute resolution training. Please contact me to discuss retainer terms and fees.